Yashtimadhu (licorice) is one of the most popular medicinal herbs in India and used for many years to cure various health issues. Glycyrrhizin is present in the root of yashtimadhu which is 50 times sweeter than sugar, and due to its peculiar sweetness, licorice was used in many medicines to mask the unpleasant taste of the other ingredients.
Different Names of Yashtimadhu (Licorice):
- Botanical name: Glycyrrhiza glabra
- English name: Licorice
- Hindi name: Mulethi, Jethimadhu
- Kannada name: Jeshtamadhu, Atimadhura
- Gujrati name: Jethimadh
- Telgu name: Yashtimadhukam
- Marathi name: Jesthimadh
Synonymous of Yashtimadhu (Licorice):
Karma of Yashtimadhu:
- Snehopaga: Used in the procedure of snehana karma
- Varnya: Improve skin complexion
- Kanthya: Help in the improvement of voice
- Jeevaneeya: Promote longevity
- Sandhaneeya: Help in the healing of the bone fracture, and wound healing
- Chardinigraha: Relieves vomiting
Classification of Yashtimadhu:
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Sub-Kingdom: Viridiplantae
- Infra Kingdom: Streptophyta
- Super Division: Embryophyta
- Division: Tracheophyta
- Sub Division: Spermatophytina
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Super Order: Rosanae
- Order: Fabales
- Family: Fabaceae
- Genus: Glycyrrhiza
- Species: Glycyrrhiza Glabra
Ayurvedic Properties of Yashtimadhu:
- Rasa (taste): Madhura (sweet)
- Guna (qualities): Guru (heavy), and Snigdha (unctuous or Oily)
- Vurya (potency): Sheeta (cold)
- Vipaka (resultant): Madhura (sweet)
- Prabhava (therapeutic effect): Rejuvenation & Supplement
- Effect on Dosha: Pacifies Vata, and Pitta dosha.
Part used: Roots.
Yashtimadhu is cultivated in Russia, Spain, and the Middle East Region. It is a perennial, reaching up to 120-150 cm in height. Its stolon is nearly cylindrical, and up to 2 cm in diameter, and is consists of a yellowish-brown outer layer, externally longitudinally wrinkled with occasional small buds and encircling scale leaves.
Chemical Constitution of Yashtimadhu:
The active principle of yashtimadu is glycyrrhizin. Other than this, it contains starch, mucilage, glycyrrhizin, a glycoside isoliquirtin 2.2%, glucose 3.8%, amorphous, sulfuric acid, and metallic acids, calcium, and meganesium salts.
Medicinal Uses of Yashtimadhu:
Due to its chemical constituents, and sweetness, Yashtimadhu (Liquorice) is used to provide relief from Vata, and pitta causes diseases, such as, in the case of the digestive system, in stomach ulcers, heartburn, colic, and (chronic gastritis). In respiratory diseases, sore throat, bronchitis, cough, Liver diseases. Other than this, the herb is beneficial for menopausal symptoms, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, malaria, tuberculosis, high potassium levels in the blood, food poisoning, Muscle Cramps, abscesses, recovery after surgery, rash, high cholesterol, etc.
Alternatively, it has Antibacterial, adaptogenic, analgesic, anti-arthritic, antidepressant, antioxidant, anti-stress, aphrodisiac, demulcent, expectorant, anti-inflammatory, anti-Alzheimer’s, anti-obesogenic, anti-adipogenic, anti-atherogenic, anti-cancer properties.
Benefits: Medicinal Uses of Yashtimadhu (liquorice) Herb is Described Below:
- Effects on Respiratory System: liquorice work as an excellent expectorant and clear the obstructed airways of the respiratory tract. It is widely used to treat cough, sore throat, bronchitis, laryngitis, chest infections, etc. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and hence provides relief from chest congestion, works as a bronchodilator, and improves the functioning of the lungs.
- Immunity Booster: liquorice improve the immune system and fight against various viruses, bacteria, and other harmful infections. It increases the production of lymphocytes and macrophages that protect the body from pollutants, allergens, and trigger factors that cause diseases.
- Effects on Digestive System: This wonderful herb has active compounds such as carbenoxolone, and glycyrrhizin that plays an important role to relieve all the digestion related issues like stomach discomfort, heartburn, hyperacidity, cramps, etc. It is also useful for healing the gastric or duodenal ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, and ulcerative colitis. It also acts as a mild laxative that relieves the problem of constipation also.
- Controls Cholesterol: Licorice root is a very effective remedy for lowering the level of bad cholesterol in the body and increasing the level of healthy cholesterol in the body. It increases the flow of bile and balances the other hormone levels.
- Treats Sore Throat & Cough: liquorice is well known popular for its uses to cure severe cough and respiratory-related problems. It has the best expectorant properties and works as bronchodilators clear the obstructed airways and allow a person to breathe freely.
- Reduces Stress & Depression: Due to its Vata pacifying properties, it balances the aggravated Vata and improves the functioning of the nervous system. Regular intake of mulethi is very beneficial to reduce mental stress, anxiety, depression, etc.
- Keeps your Liver Healthy: Mulethi is rich in antioxidants that prevent the liver from the action of free radicals, and other harmful toxins. It helps in rejuvenation of the cells and supports the functioning of the liver.
- Balance Hormones: Mulethi works well in maintaining the functioning of the adrenal gland. Some medicines can suppress the function of the adrenal gland and result in adrenal insufficiency, in that condition it plays an important role, as it assists the adrenal gland to recover its natural functions, and stimulates the functioning of the adrenal hormones.
- Prevents Hair fall, and Premature graying of hairs: Mulethi is used in various Ayurvedic shampoos because it is very helpful to prevent premature graying of hairs. It increases the blood circulation to the scalp and provides it proper nutrition. If it takes orally, it balances the aggravated doshas and maintains the hormonal balance.
- Eases menopausal symptoms: Yashtimadhu contains phytoestrogenic compounds that help to correct hormonal imbalance in the body to ease menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, insomnia, depression, mood swings, sweating, etc.
- Fights Oral infections: Licorice extracts have bioactive ingredients that could help defend against and treat oral and dental diseases like dental caries or tooth decay, periodontitis (gum disease), and fungal infections of the mouth like candidiasis. It stimulates saliva production, helping cleanse and remineralize teeth.
- Yashtimadu Churna: Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily.
- Yashtimadughan Vati: Take 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.