What is Constipation ?
Constipation is an acute condition in which bowel movements of any person occur less often than routine or consist of dry stools, hard that are very painful or difficult to pass from anal. Bowel habits vary person to person if an adult person who has not had a bowel movement in 3 days or a child who has not had a bowel movement in 4 days then they are considered constipated. Let us know about constipation treatment, type and symptoms in this article.
- Routine constipation – Normal constipation
- Chronic constipation
- Traveling constipation
- Old age constipation, constipation in children
- Constipation in pregnancy
- Chronic idiopathic constipation
- Functional constipation
As per the ayurvedic point of view, constipation is a disease caused especially by the vitiation of the vatta doshas.
In Ayurveda, its called as Anaha. But the other two doshas “Pitta & Kapha” can also be responsible for constipation disease. Constipation induces due to a high pitta dosha is represent by dry stools. It happens mostly in the hot seasons and it caused due to a high Kapha dosha is accompanied by pains in passing out the feces, which are sticky. In people with Kapha vitiation, the excessive mucus may block the rectal passage which will obstruct the elimination of the wastes.
Other synonyms for constipation as per Ayurveda:
Vibandha, Vishtabdhata, Malabaddhata, Baddhavarchas, Stabdha Pureeshata, Varcho Vibandha, etc.
Symptoms of Constipation:
- Difficult bowel movement
- Dry bowel movement
- Abdominal pain
- Painful bowel movement
- Vomiting & Weight loss
- Feeling very uncomfortable
- Person Feeling sluggish
- Diarrhea – a blockage only allows liquid to pass
- Abdominal swelling & Loss of appetite
Significant constipation causes:
- Intake of food possessing dry, light, rough qualities. Any food that causes the dryness in the mouth, lightness within the body and roughness within the skin.
- Excessive consumption of pungent, astringent and salty foods
- Night Awakening
- Less intake of water
- Working in strong sunlight, long walk, heavy traveling
- Sitting at the same place for a very long time.
- Lack of sufficient fibers in diet
- Neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease
- Excessive use of antacids
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Pregnancy – the fetus putting pressure on the intestines, causing lack of bowel movements
- Colon cancer
- Intestinal obstruction – structural problems such as twisting of intestines (volvulus).
Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies for Constipation Treatment:
- Ginger tea is a very excellent home remedy for constipation. It is useful in regularising the bowel movements.
- Light exercise & yoga, often a simple morning walk in the park can relieve constipation.
- Guava eaten with seeds provides roughage to the diet can give relief very much from constipation.
- Add fruits & green vegetables to the diet like pears, grapes, Orange juice, Papaya, cucumber, capsicum, tomato and other salad of leafy veggies.
- Another home remedy for constipation is to add a little extra sugar or honey in a glass of cold milk and drink it twice a day.
- Apply 3-4 drops of castor oil (lukewarm) over the navel at night time. In the morning, the person will pass the stools without any difficulty
- Take 6-8 raisins and soak them in hot water. When cool, crush well and strain. When it is regularly given even to little infants, it helps to regulate the bowel movement.
- Eat two apples with the peel on an empty stomach.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey in 1 cup of lukewarm water and drink on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Drink carrot juice. It is an excellent remedy, particularly for kids.
- Eat chopped fresh onion along with food.
- Eat 3 – 4 teaspoons of Isabgol husk with warm water or warm milk at bedtime.
Ayurvedic herbs used in Constipation Treatment:
- Deep Ayurveda Livclear Herbal Capsule
- Deep Ayurveda Livclear Herbal Syrup
- Triyog Herbal Capsule
- Bael fruits(Aegle marmelos)
- Castor(Ricinus communis)
- Harad(Terminalia chebula)
- Chicory(Chichorium intybus)
- Isphagula (Plantago ovata)
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Rhubarb(Rheem emodi)
Ayurvedic medicines used in Constipation Treatment:
- Avipattikara churna
- Triphala choorna
- Drakshadi avaleha
- Pancha Sakara churna
- Shallaki capsule
- Triyog capsule
Panchakarma Treatment for Constipation:
There are some particular panchkarma therapies uses to treat the condition of constipation. These therapies are-
- Vasti Karma (enema therapy)
- Virechana Karma (purgation therapy)
Also, a massage of the abdominal muscles, known as the Udavartana, is also employed if the constipation is chronic. This makes the intestinal muscles stronger and works better in dispelling the wastes.
Dr. Baldeep Kour– Editor in Chief – “Ayurveda For Healthy Living ” (Ayurveda magazine online) Chief Ayurveda Consultant & Co-Founder of Deep Ayurveda.
Statutory warning: Self-medication can be very dangerous. Always use ayurvedic medicine under the strict supervision of an ayurvedic doctor.