Obesity Treatment – Obesity is a condition described by excessive storage of fat in the body of any person. When the body’s calorie intake exceeds the number of calories burned, it leads to the storage of excess calories in the form of body fat. Increased body fat puts a person at risk for many critical conditions such as heart disease, liver damage, diabetes, arthritis and kidney problems.
Causes of Obesity
When people consume more calories, it causes excessive weight gain — It is occurring due to eating a diet high in fat and calories. This imbalance between calories consumed and calories burned, however, can also be caused by some of the different obesity-related factors such as genetic, hormonal, behavioral, environmental. There are many other factors causing obesity such as pregnancy, tumors as well as endocrine disorders and medications that include psychotic drugs, estrogens, corticosteroids, and insulin.
Symptoms of Obesity
- Excessive sweating with bad odor
- Breathlessness on exertion
- Increased body fat
Ayurvedic View on Obesity
In Ayurveda, obesity is known as Medarog, which is caused by the aggravation of Kapha. It is Ayurvedic humor which is dense, thick, slow, sticky, wet and cold in nature. It governs all structure and lubrication in the mind and body apart from controlling weight and formation of all the seven tissues – nutritive fluids, blood, fat, muscles, bones, marrow and reproductive tissues.
In a balanced state, Kapha gives nourishment to these tissues through various microchannels. However, it is aggravated, it leads to the production of toxins in the body. These toxins are thick and dense in nature and accumulate in weaker channels of the body, causing their blockage. In the case of an obese person, toxins accumulate in Medovahi Srotas (fat channels), thereby leading to an increase in the production of fat tissue (Meda Dhatu). When the body produces more fat tissues, it causes an increase in weight.
The Ayurvedic line of treatment for obesity begins with the pacification of Kapha Dosha. It can be done by eliminating Kapha-aggravating foods from the diet. Next, the treatment also focuses on the cleansing of the Medovahi channels through cleansing herbs so that excess weight can be reduced.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice on Obesity
- Increase intake of fruits, salads, and vegetables.
- Replace refined flour with whole-wheat flour and rice with brown rice or parboiled rice.
- Have more bitter vegetables like bitter gourd and the bitter variety of drumsticks.
- Avoid oily and fried foods, processed foods, fatty foods like butter, purified butter, cheese, whole-milk yogurt, cream, chocolate, etc.
- Avoid high carbohydrates like polished rice and potato.
Herbal Home Remedies for Obesity
- Drink ayurvedic slimming tea on a regular basis
- Take one teaspoonful of honey and mix with half of the lime juice in a glass of lukewarm water. Take 3-4 times a day at regular intervals.
- Use a tablespoon of honey with warm water at daily morning. It is a beneficial home remedy for obesity
- Vegetables such as bitter gourd and drumsticks are also very beneficial to control obesity.
Some herbs used in Obesity Treatment:-
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Bitter melon( Momordica charantia)
- Tulsi ( Ocimum snactum)
- Amla( Emblica officinalis)
- Harad (Terminalia chebula)
- Bahera( Terminalia bellerica)
- Black pepper(Piper nigrum)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinalis)
Some of very beneficial Ayurvedic Herbal Supplements for Obesity Treatment
- Obesit Herbal Capsule
- Livclear Herbal Capsule
- Garcinia Herbal Capsule
- Guggal Herbal Capsule.
- Arthro Ayurvedic Body Massage Oil
Dr. Baldeep Kour– Editor in Chief of “Ayurveda For Healthy Living ” (Ayurveda magazine online) Chief Ayurveda Consultant & Co-Founder of Deep Ayurveda in Hobart.
Statutory warning: Self-medication can be very dangerous. Always use ayurvedic medicine under the strict supervision of an ayurvedic doctor.