Kidneys are two bean-shaped organs located just below the rib cage, one on each side of the spine. The kidneys filter about 120 to 150 quarts of blood to produce about 1 to 2 quarts of urine, composing wastes and extra fluids. The urine flowing from the kidneys to the bladder through two thin tubes called ureters, one on each side of the bladder. Urine produced by the kidneys is stored in the bladder. Bladder walls remain relaxed while the bladder fills with urine.
The Importance of Kidneys:
- The kidneys keep the composition of the blood stable.
- Kidneys prevent the buildup of wastes and extra fluids in the body.
- Maintaining the levels of electrolytes stable.
- Make hormones that help regulate blood pressure, produce blood cells, and assist in making bones strong.
Causes of Kidney Disease:
- Loss of Blood Flow to the Kidneys
- Urine Elimination Problems
- Kidney stones
- An enlarged prostate
- Blood clots within your urinary tract
- Damage to the nerves that control your bladder
- An overload of toxins from heavy metals
Symptoms of Kidney Diseases:
- A reduced amount of urine
- Retention of fluids due to the failure of the kidney to eliminate water waste causes swelling of legs, ankles, and feet
- Unexplained shortness of breath
- Excessive drowsiness or fatigue
- Persistent nausea
- Pain or pressure in your chest
5 Stages of Kidney Disease:
Kidney function becomes slows, blood levels of creatinine rise. Below are the five stages of CKD and GFR :
- Stage First is with normal or high GFR (GFR > 90 mL/min, per 1.73m2)
- Stage Second is Mild CKD (GFR = 60-89 mL/min per 1.73m2)
- Stage third A is Moderate CKD (GFR = 45-59 mL/min per 1.73m2)
- Stage third B is Moderate CKD (GFR = 30-44 mL/min per 1.73m2)
- Stage fourth is Severe CKD (GFR = 15-29 mL/min per 1.73m2)
- Stage fifth is End Stage CKD (GFR <15 mL/min per 1.73m2)
According to Ayurveda, the kidneys are made up of the “Rakta” and “Meda” dhatus. Kidney herbal treatment is the best. Treating this two dhatus is also an effective way to treat the kidneys. Ayurveda has vital herbs which have the potential for a significant therapeutic contribution in all the stages of this condition.