Vaman (emesis) Therapy is one of the main therapeutic procedure of five procedures of panchakarma in Ayurveda. It means therapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This panchakarma treatment is done for the aggregated Kapha dosha, which removes the toxins (Poison) mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. Vaman (emesis) therapy is also very useful for preventive & curative purposes and to balance our tridoshas. According to Ayurveda seasons play a vital role in influencing in the aggravation of doshas,- Kapha in Hemant (spring season), Pita in Sharad Ritu (winter season ) and vata in greeshm Ritu (summers season), Hence one can adopt panchkarma Vaman therapy in Spring season as a preventive therapy in order to prevent diseases related to Kapha.
Vaman (Emesis) Procedure
- Pre-Vaman therapy procedure: before inducing Vamana, the patient is asked to have kapha aggravating foods (As adviced by the ayurvedic consultant at the time of consultation). It is important to increase the Kapha dosha so that it gets eliminated out completely and forcefully from the body.
- Ayurvedic Doctor will prepare a herbal ghrit/Oil as per the Prakriti (Body Constitution) & doshas of the person which need to consume for next seven days as per the dosage adviced by the ayurvedic practitioner.
- On 8th & 9th day, patient called at our center for abhyanga and Sweden ( Ayurvedic Body Massage & Steam bath) and it will take around 75 Minutes time on each day.
- On the 10th day we calling patient on early morning between 6:00 am to 7:00 am, and then our panchkarma therapist have to do abhyanga and Sweden for 75 minutes. After that ayurvedic consultant will give a herbal decoction which is made out of vomiting inducing herbs.
This drink triggers vomiting in the patient, and this process expels the whole kapha outside from the body and the patient feels better & light after some time. The whole process will take around 3 to 4 hours.
- Post Vaman (emesis) therapy: patient needs to take some rest and avoid to do heavy work for 3-4 days. For next one week patient have to follow the strict diet plan as advised of Ayurveda consultant. Becuase vaman therapy flushed out all toxins and the whole internal system get cleaned. So we need to introduce food to our body one by one.
Vaman (emesis) Benefits
- You will feel the lightness in the chest after undergoing the vaman therapy.
- You will analyze things more efficiently; it promotes good digestion and a good appetite.
- After vaman (emesis), the sinuses are cleared which in turn provides relief from chest congestion, wheezing & breathlessness.
- Vaman (emesis) is a highly effective treatment for Asthma, and skin related problems like psoriasis and eczema.
- Vaman (Emesis) therapy is beneficial to reduce weight and to manage cholesterol & triglycerides.
Vaman ( emesis) therapy is used to treat upper respiratory tract infection, Sinusitis & Asthma, Metabolic disorders like Diabetes, Skin allergy, eczema, psoriasis, Erysipelas (cellulite), Obesity and Urticarial rashes
Total duration of Complete Procedure
As per the authentic way of ayurveda, proper vaman procedure will take 15 Days in which 7 Seven days for snehpan (Oiliation) and 7 Days post procedure. But pateint no need to come daily at clinic. From 15 days only 3 Days required to come at center rest all things will advice to follow from home.
Caution: Vaman (Emesis) is a therapeutic procedure of panchkarma so always take the therapy only under the supervision of experienced and qualified Ayurveda consultant.